in june 2010, our lives got turned upside down in the best possible way: the birth of our awesome kiddo, john. in october 2013, brother charlie charged into our life to change the status quo again. and june 2016 brought us brother ben to round out our trio.

i'm proud to have "mom" at the top of the list of titles on my resume, but i'm also still a hard-working professional. how does a working mom juggle work and family? ride along with me and see if i can figure it out!

Monday, May 2, 2011

rough start

pic of the day
"... and then my mommy strapped me in
my carseat and disappeared for 20
minutes while i screamed for her."

we had a great weekend with buddy. he is definitely a fearful dog - he did a fair amount of barking at my husband, as it seems that men particularly scare him. but he's made some progress, and we're ready to be patient so we can persuade him that he has, in fact, found his forever home.

never underestimate, however, the chaos associated with adding another member to your family.

at 7:30 this morning, i was very proud of myself: john was dressed and ready for school, i was dressed and ready for work, buddy had had a walk first thing, my schlew of bags was packed and ready to load into the car so we could get this monday started.

and then. (isn't there always an and then?)

as i put on my shoes, john was crawling around our bedroom and knocked over a canoe paddle propped against the wall. big boom, etc.

poor buddy peed all over the living room floor.

"oh, buddy, it's ok," i said as rubbed his chest and cleaned up the mess. really, i don't mind - it's all part of the process.

when buddy had calmed down a bit, i let him in the backyard for one more run around before he spent his first day home alone. while he was outside, i loaded my still-smiling baby boy into his carseat and loaded the bags into the car.

then i went to the open back door to call buddy inside ... and he was having none of it. he planted his butt in the grass near the back fence and made it very clear he was coming nowhere near this horrid house of loud noises.

cue screaming baby, angry to have been left in his car seat.

i got buddy's leash, figuring i could walk him around the yard and then inside. so i walked him around the yard ... for 20 minutes. (baby still screaming bloody murder. oh don't worry, i checked on him every several minutes and nothing was wrong. he was just mad to be strapped in.)

20 minutes later, i *had* to leave. i was already so late for work. so ... i dragged buddy inside.

this is probably the worst thing you can do to a fearful dog.

then i got in the car with my screaming child and cried my way to work.

here's hoping day 2 goes a little smoother.

p.s. i did go home at lunch time to check on buddy, and we're friends again. he was terrified of me when i first got there, but quickly settled back in and hung out with me while i ate my lunch. i let him in the backyard with much trepidation, but i left the back door open and he came in on his own, and kissed my hand when i left. hopefully john will be as forgiving when i pick him up this evening!!

1 comment:

Kacie said...

"We're friends again.." haha love it