in june 2010, our lives got turned upside down in the best possible way: the birth of our awesome kiddo, john. in october 2013, brother charlie charged into our life to change the status quo again. and june 2016 brought us brother ben to round out our trio.

i'm proud to have "mom" at the top of the list of titles on my resume, but i'm also still a hard-working professional. how does a working mom juggle work and family? ride along with me and see if i can figure it out!

Friday, March 22, 2013


before and after haircut last saturday

you may have found yourself asking, "where have you been, john's mom?"

(if you really found yourself asking that, please please please find a hobby. we love you, but you need something to fill your time!)

but where have we been? we've been juggling.

last weekend john got a haircut - he was instantly transformed from rakish ragamuffin to dapper young lad, and altho he's cute as heck, i can't pretend i don't miss the mop a little bit. oh, well, it'll grow back quickly and he'll be a muss-headed tousled mess again.

sunday afternoon, i picked john up out of his crib after nap and could immediately tell he was running a fever. (i always wondered how moms could tell that, and then i became a mom. it's like a super power you inherit with parenthood.)

so ... monday i stayed home with john. he was mostly ok besides the fever, though i could see some red spots on his throat. he seemed a little cranky but pretty alright all things considered. and his fever responded well to ibuprofen, so he was doing ok. we tried to get in to see his doctor, but she wound up having an emergency root canal, so the appointment got moved to tuesday at 9am.

juggle. daddy stayed home with john on tuesday so i could go in to the office. we're going through a transition at work, so i knew i needed to put some face time in and answer some questions to ease the process. daddy took john to the doc, and the verdict was unspecified viral yuk -- nothing to be done but keep him hydrated, treat the fever, and wait for it to go away in 3-5 days. (3-5 days, i thought ... he's going to be out all week!)

but by tuesday night, john wasn't really running a fever anymore, so if he stayed clear on wednesday, he'd be able to go back to school on thursday!

so wednesday, i stayed home with the clearly-feeling-better little man while daddy worked. noontime we traded and i headed back to the office again. (and that was the longest halfday ever, actually).

but john's fever stayed gone, so finally on thursday we were back to our normal routine. it was refreshing to drop john at daycare and head to work, it felt normal and nice.

ahh, routine.

until my husband texted me in the afternoon to tell me HE was running a fever.

fortunately, he was a very good sport last night and is feeling better today, and saw his doc today to see what's going on (nothing serious for him, either, and could be the same viral thing john had). fever seems to be down this afternoon, so here's to hoping the weekend settles down a little bit!

thank god for weekends ...

No comments: