in june 2010, our lives got turned upside down in the best possible way: the birth of our awesome kiddo, john. in october 2013, brother charlie charged into our life to change the status quo again. and june 2016 brought us brother ben to round out our trio.

i'm proud to have "mom" at the top of the list of titles on my resume, but i'm also still a hard-working professional. how does a working mom juggle work and family? ride along with me and see if i can figure it out!

Thursday, October 11, 2012

oh what a day

the star is from daycare yesterday - i just couldn't
scrub it off because of his tender swollen skin.
the plan for today, originally, was for my husband to go to work and spend his day wrapping things up so he could be off tomorrow, me to go to work to do the same, so i could leave at 2pm for my pre-op appointment (more on that in a sec) and then for us to convene at home for one dear friend to bring us a much-appreciated dinner before we brought john to another dear friend's house to stay the night so he wouldn't have to come to the hospital with us at 5am.

oh, the best laid plans.

instead, we woke up to john's hand all swollen up and angry red. i hoped we could get him in early to see his doctor, then i'd take him to daycare and i'd head to work and we'd continue the plan from there. and we did get a 9am appointment ... and it is just an angry angry bug bite of some kind, that john's little system reacted to. but the doc said john needed to stay home from school so that he could have benadryl, antibiotics, and cold compresses throughout the day.

so ... john came to work with me for a few hours. and my coworkers and my boss were awesomely indulgent of the two-year-old monkey running around our office. (benadryl doesn't slow him down at all. it doesn't hype him up, but there's no sedative effect.) he was really a good boy, but boy was that a stressful couple of hours while i fit basically two days worth of work into two hours.

then we came home for a little while (and john for his nap) so that daddy could come home from work so that i could go to my pre-op. it was scheduled for 2:45pm and i got there a little early, so i thought all was well. but then i didn't get to see the doc until 3:30, and by the time they drew blood etc., it was 4pm before i left. and i still had an errand to run (to yet ANOTHER wonderful friend, who is taking over teaching our sunday school class this week since i don't think i'll be up to teaching). back home (missed the dinner delivery ... i'm  so sorry i wasn't here, L!) where i realized that i'd overlooked a project at work that i needed to take care of. and my husband realized he needed to go back to HIS office for a little while too.

so i designed my ad, my husband went to work, and john has been playing like crazy. as soon as daddy gets home we'll leave again to go straight to P's house where john will get to hang out with her kids and spend the night. and then we'll come home and eat dinner and try to get some sleep.

ohjnmhhhhhhhhlk'; <--------------- this is what john typed when he hijacked my computer while i packed a change of clothes for him to take with him.

oh yeah, and then tomorrow morning i will go have a d&c procedure at the hospital, because my body just never got around to miscarrying this baby. i've had a second ultrasound that confirmed there's nothing doing. and this procedure is really not a big deal at all, and should have an easy recovery. but i'm not going to lie: i'm very freaked out. they're going to put me under, which i haven't had done since i was 16 and had my wisdom teeth out. and no matter how routine it is, it's still a surgical procedure, which is a scary thing.

and after that, i'm going to try to take it easy for a little while this weekend. i would need that after today even WITHOUT the surgery tomorrow.

so if you can spare some love, some prayers, some good vibes, whatever, it would mean the world to me tomorrow. i'm remembering john's advice: i got this, but i need some help.

thanks to all our wonderful friends and family who love us so much.

No comments: